A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Cue the fat lady. Edmonton wins again.

Edmonton took a commanding 3-0 lead by defeating the visiting MightyDucks 5-4 on Tuesday night. I still think that it won't be a sweep, but this series is definitely over. Anaheim will find a way to win on Thursday night, but there is absolutely no way this series goes beyond game six on Monday. In fact, I doubt very much that it will make it past game five on Saturday.

I was working, and I didn't think I'd get a chance to see any of it, but we were extraordinarily slow, and I got to watch almost all of the first two periods, after which Edmonton was clinging to a 1-0 lead. I actually did some work during the second intermission, and when I came back out, the Oil had suddenly taken a 4-0 lead by virtue of three quick goals. At that point, I was honestly thinking that it would indeed be a sweep.

I went back to do some more work, and the next thing I knew, it was 4-3. At that point, I changed my mind, and I actually thought that the Ducks had a chance to take the game. Moments later, however, Fernando Pisani scored what the Oilers thought would be a cushion, but turned out to be the game winner. Teemu Selanne scored for the Ducks late in the third to make it 5-4, which would be the final.

The first 5 minutes of this game was fight-filled. The next 35 was very blase. The last 20 were very exciting. It was only the second time in Stanley Cup history that both teams have scored four or more goals in the third period.

The Oil now have a three games to none lead, and it doesn't look like the Ducks have a chance. Like I say, the Ducks may win game 4, but it isn't going any longer than 6.

This will be the Oil's first Cup final since 1990, when they won the Cup four games to one over the Bruins.

1 comment:

The Acid Queen said...

Oh HO, some Wesley karma in the offing (IF the Canes win this round), I see.

The Unity of Rings. That's what it's all about.

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.