A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Monday, August 29, 2005

practice today

I hauled my ass out to Raleigh this morning to watch the 'Canes informal "practice", and I'm glad I did. I've never been to a practice before, so it was kind of neat to see the skating drills.

Despite reports to the contrary, former Cane Bates Battaglia was not present.

There were only nine skaters there today:

Rod Brind'Amour
Kevyn Adams
Glen Wesley
Cory Stillman
Erik Cole
Jesse Boulerice
Chad LaRose
Danny Richmond
Aaron Ward

In the skating drills, Jesse looked like crap. He lagged behind in the "herbies", and was clumsy in the technical skating drills. During the four-on-four scrimmage, he fell down a bunch and lost his edge a bunch of other times. He's just not in playing shape right now.

I was most impressed with Cole. He looked good all day. Adams, too. And during the 4-on-4s, Stillman looked terrific, as did Wesley. I can see that Stillman is going to be a big part of our offensive production. His passes were always right on the tape. He made a lot of things happen in a little scrimmage.

Ward was barely noticeable.

The two noobies are smart to be there for these voluntary unofficial practices. I really liked what I saw from Danny Richmond, but I wasn't sold on LaRose.

I brought along my camera, but none of my shots were turning out good at all. About 80% of the pictures I took from the 2003-04 season are poor in quality. The one in the banner at the top of this page is one of maybe three dozen that don't suck. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to learn how to use my digital camera properly.

Afterwards, I stopped by the arena to go to The Eye. I wanted to maybe get a new t-shirt or something, but the new stuff won't be getting there until the first of September. I'll wait until I go to a pre-season game to buy a new sweater (probably Adams), but I might return next week to check out the new gear.

3 comments:

Tom L said...

Cory Stillman may be the pickup of the off-season. He's going to make a lot of GM's look pretty foolish for the money they paid for lesser players.

Ta,

d-lee said...

One of the many things that I like about him is that he really wants to play here. He jumped at the chance to come here and sign a three year deal with a no-trade clause.

At 1.75M, he's a steal.

I think Karmanos did a really good job getting the free agents that we got. I'm really excited.

Unknown said...

Jesse Boulerice IS Crap

any hockey player named Jesse is gonna suck ;) Trust me.

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.