A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Friday, July 14, 2006

rating the DVD

On Tuesday, the Carolina Hurricanes Stanley Cup Champions DVD was released.

Naturally, I bought it.

The DVD features:
  • NBC's feed of the Stanley Cup Finals game 7, in its entirety and without commercials or intermission stuff
  • Highlights from the Cup Finals series
  • Highlights from the Eastern Conference finals against Buffalo
  • a gloss-over of the Eastern Conference semifinals against New Jersey
  • highlights of the first round with Montréal
  • gloss-over of the regular season
  • snippets of interviews with key players like Aaron Ward, Doug Weight, Mark Recchi, Bret Hedican, Mike Commodore, Eric Staal, Rod Brind'Amour, Cam Ward
  • a "ride to the game" with Kevyn Adams featuring several minutes of footage of his private life.
  • a few "vignettes" about some of the players
  • interview footage with Canes radio and TV personalities
  • a short feature about Peter Laviolette's "Relentless" campaign to raise funds and awareness for leukemia research


Overall the DVD is good but not great. I can't imagine anyone buying it unless they're a Canes fan, so I won't even qualify it in that way.

The game seven feed is good, but they tried too hard to compress it for time. Some of the replays and analysis was cut out. Also, I kind of miss the intermission reports. However, it's nice to have it on DVD. Now I can clear my DVR.

I wish there was more about each series, and would have been willing to shell out the dough for a multi-disc set. It particular, there was virtually nothing about the New Jersey Series. I might have been willing to sacrifice the regular season highlights for more focus on each playoff series if they had to keep it to a one disc package.

One other thing I wish there had been more of is some of the audio clips from Canes radio guy Chuck Kaiton. He's one of the best in the business, and is in the broadcaster's hall of fame. They only gave us a few of his calls. Specifically, I really wish they would have included his call of Viva's empty netter to secure the win ...
"And he wins the Stanley Cup!!! Justin Williams has just won the Stanley Cup for the Carolina Hurricanes, in all likelihood!"


The "vignettes" are horrible. They devote about 60 seconds to Ray Whitney, Mike Commodore, Eric Staal, Cam Ward. I would just assume throw all those out.

The thing about Kevyn Adams is great, and almost makes the thing worth it on its own. About five minutes of talking with him about game day, riding in the car with him. One of the best moments from that section is when his little daughter Emerson is singing "Tomorrow" for the camera. She's really cute, and in that little film you can tell that K-Ads is a really good dad. Also, the way he lifted her up on his shoulders during the Cup celebration and did a lap with her. The video doesn't show that, but anyone who was in the RBC Center that night could see it. As a side for those of you who have the DVD, check out the dog while Emmy is singing. I wonder what he's staring at.

Another really cool moment from the DVD also involves Kevyn and Emerson Adams. It's in the very beginning of the disc in the middle of that montage. He's hugging her and telling her that he loves her. He's headed off to some game during the playoffs. She just says "good luck, daddy". I don't know what it is, but I think it's the cutest thing in the world.

My other favorite moment of the DVD is when they're talking to Doug Weight about Cam Ward. Specifically, they're talking about Cam coming in off the bench to start game 3 of that series when the Canes backs were really against the wall. Dougie says that he was nervous, and especially so for Cam. He says something like:
I was nervous for him, coming in like that. He was giving me winks and stuff at the faceoffs and I was thinking "This isn't right. I'm the one who's nervous, and he's calming me down."


Overall, I like the DVD, but I would have done a few things differently. Don't get me wrong... I've watched it twice already, and I'll watch it many more times, and I do think it's worth it. Overall, I give it a B.

I'll be looking forward to a different DVD (or a set) put together by the Canesvision/Gale Force Media folks. They put one together for our 2002 SCF loss, so I see no reason for them not to do one for our win. No word yet, though.

4 comments:

Stormbringer said...

Based on what I've heard/read about the 2006 Stanley Cup DVD thus far, it sounds like it adheres well to that popular saying: "All that glitters is not gold."

In other words, just because the production values are superb doesn't mean the actual content is too. I still look forward to seeing the DVD, but I don't look forward to the occasional AND assinine "Boo hoo, the Oilers didn't win!!" tinged comment, nor am I already all that fond of the lack of focus on the fans or most of the individual Canes players themselves.

You would love to think that CanesVision would put together something. I fear they may not due to NBC having beaten them to the hunch. BUT, I will definitely be glad to be wrong there. If Raising Canes finds me constantly watching it all the freakin' time with its obvious low production values (but who cares when the content was very well done) AND the Canes now having actually won the Cup, I cannot imagine what a CanesVision-made DVD would look like now with the improved goodies those guys have gotten since 2002.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see some more footage from the regular season. Like highlights of the 8-6 game vs. the Flyers.

I also know this is just par for the course for these season ending videos, but I wish they would just shut up the talking and the music during the big moments and just let the players and the crowd noise tell the story.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What a great site I have a+huge penis http://www.nvidia-video-cards.info/how-to-buy-graphics-card.html Nardil reaction with modafinil

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.