A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Mogilny on waivers

The hockey gods answered my question pretty quickly when the Devils placed veteran Alex Mogilny on waivers. Mogilny is presently third on the Devils in scoring with 25 points (12/13) in 35 games, but is on a six game drought.

My calculations were a bit off, as I was probably including some players who are down in the minors, but they were still perilously close to the cap limit. I'm not at all surprised that they put someone on waivers, but I am surprised that they chose Mogilny. He may not be the player that he used to be on a consistent basis, but I don't think there's any way he clears waivers. Not twice anyway. Someone like Chicago might yank him off waivers, but he's wicked overpaid, and may clear the first waivers for that reason. I'm not crystal clear on the waivers process, but my understanding is that on the first go-round, a team would have to pick up his salary, and on the second go-round, they can negotiate new terms. Is that right?

1 comment:

HockeyKnight said...

Hmm.. this has Larry Pleau move written all over it. I wonder if the Blues will pick up Mogilny.

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.