A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Luongo says no

Roberto Luongo of the Florida Panthers turned away a huge contract extension offer like so many shots on goal.

After turning down a five-year, $30M contract, Luongo said:
I just want to make sure we're a playoff team for many years to come. I don't want to spend another five years here just watching the playoffs on television.
It is a great contract for me, but No. 1 is winning a Stanley Cup and having success in the playoffs. After that, money comes second.


The folks at TSN seem to think this is a selfless, magnanimous gesture on his part. I've got a different theory.

Translation: "I will be a free agent in the summer, and I want to move to a bona fide Cup contender. I'd rather not be locked into a five year deal here."

1 comment:

Tom L said...

D-l,

Can you blame him? I wouldn't want to work for The Keenan for another 5 years either. Magnanimous? No way. Just shrewd politics as you suggest.

Ta,

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.