A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Fantasy hockey

I've been playing fantasy football for five seasons, and although I don't like baseball, I've played fantasy baseball for two seasons. This will be the first time that I've played fantasy hockey. The league I joined didn't quite pan out like we hoped, as we only got six guys to join, but I suppose it's better than nothing. For some reason, our commissioner set it up to be an auto-draft, but I'm pretty pleased with the way the draft bots worked for me. Of course I had to program them not to draft certain undesirables (more on that later).
My roster is as follows:

  • C Scott Gomez

  • C Brad Richards (Alternate Captain)

  • LW Markus Naslund

  • LW Alex Tanguay (Captain)

  • RW Marian Hossa

  • RW Milan Hejduk

  • D Chris Pronger

  • D Dick Tarnstrom (Alternate Captain)

  • D Brent Sopel

  • D Adam Foote

  • G Nikolai Khabibulin

  • G Jocelyn Thibault


My bench will look like this:
  • C Doug Weight

  • LW Ladislav Nagy

  • RW Shawn McEachern

  • G Patrick Lalime

And of course some home team guys:
  • LW Cory Stillman

  • D Andrew Hutchinson


It's tough to put Cory Stillman on the pine, but that's just to start the season. I should be able to interchange him with Tanguay and Naslund without dropping off at all. I picked up Huthchinson just for funsies. I doubt he'll ever get any fantasy playing time unless his regular season starts off as fantastically as his preseason went. Big Joe is still available, but they're listing him as a Center. Barring a series of horrid injuries, he wouldn't have much of a chance to start on my squad.

I looked at the draft results, and our commish had a bad draft. And it looks like he forgot to put certain people in the "don't draft" list. He ended up with Hepatitis Boy and Ilya Kovalchuk on his squad. Not good.

No comments:

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.