A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Nucks grab last spot

On Monday night, the Vancouver Canucks, wearing their third sweater, finally finished off the Dallas Stars 4-1. There were two empty net goals, so it wasn't the blowout that the score might suggest. Finally, the playoff picture for the second round is complete.


In the first round, I correctly predicted six series winners and missed two. Last year I correctly picked only three in the first round. For comparison, Maggie the Monkey correctly picked four in this season's first round. I'm half again as smart as a monkey!

I hope that I'll take a close look at each series, but for now, I'll just cut to the chase and make my second round predictions.

So without further ado, after re-seeding:








I agonised over the Sabres-Rangers series. For the reason that there are about 7 former WhalerCanes on the Rangers roster, I have to pull for them. As long as Ryan Miller stays healthy and effective, this should be a great series that will go the distance. The only problem with rooting for the Rags, though, is that Jaro Jagr comes with that territory.

Nucks-Ducks and Sabres-Rags will start on Wednesday while Devils-Sens and Wings-Sharks will begin Thursday.

2 comments:

nomadologist said...

Like many Hurricanes fans, I'm a transplanted Yankee. I'm a Rangers fan, and I was dejected when Jagr came to the city. Earlier this season, I was pissed when Sean Avery joined the team. I don't think there are two players in the league I hate more than Avery and Jagr, but they've been winning games for the Rangers.

I think you're right in picking the Rangers in seven. It's going to come down to two factors:

-Prucha/Cullen/Callahan have to score
-Lundqvist has to outplay Miller

Lundqvist *will* outplay Miller: Miller is a lot like Gerber for the Canes last year. He was serviceable, but if not for a high-powered offense in front of him, the Hurricanes wouldn't have finished 2nd in the conference.

Anonymous said...

Canucks in 6? Wow... before last night's Ducks vs. Canucks game, I said Ducks in 4.

After last night, Ducks in 3. Vancouver can just forfeit the last game and bow before the almighty Pronger.

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.