A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

(I know) It's over

... I can feel the soil falling over my head
And as I climb into an empty bed, oh well...

Carolina had a very steep uphill climb starting with a Tuesday night game in Tampa. They knew that they would have to win the remainder of their games and get a bit of help from the likes of Montréal, Toronto, and even Tampa if they wanted to sneak their way into the playoffs.
For about 28 minutes, it looked like they were on their way to helping themselves.
... I know it's over, still I cling.
I don't know where else I can go...


The Canes got a first period marker from Ray Whitney and an early second period goal from Rod Brind'Amour to build a 2-0 lead. Things were looking up for the defending Stanley Cup Champions.

Eric Perrin gave the '04 Champs life at 8:33 of the second, but after 40 minutes, Carolina still led 2-1. Things were still looking good.

Vinny LaCavalier tied the score at 1:20 of the third, and suddenly things were not okay. This was one of those "backbreaking" goals. Less than two minutes later, things went from grey to black. Danny Boyle scored what would prove to be the game winner at 3:13 of the third.

I know it's over
And it never really began
But in my heart it was so real


Carolina had a couple of quality chances very late in the game, but it was already a foregone conclusion at that point. The tiny consolation is that Carolina was not getting the help they needed anyway. Montréal defeated Boston 2-0. Either outcome made the other moot in terms of Carolina's wafer thin playoff hopes.

When the final horn sounded, it became official. Carolina will not make the playoffs. They'll be on Pinehurst #2 while 16 teams fight for the holiest of all grails.

Love is natural and real
But not for you my love.
Not tonight my love


This is the first time in the history of the NHL that both Stanley Cup finalists from the previous season fail to qualify for the playoffs. This, of course, will be cannon fodder for some fans who think Carolina was gifted the Cup last summer.

Still, though, there is nary a Maple Leaf who was even alive the last time Toronto won the Cup. And there are fourteen active franchises who have never won it.

This summer, I'm hoping that Vancouver can be crossed of that list.

GO NUCKS!!!

6 comments:

Coop said...

I think we had a lot to overcome this year in regard to a shorter than normal offseason with the Olympics. A lot of young guys on this team, hard to expect the same level of performance when you play 107 games the year before and then 3 months later you are back in training camp. And then when you throw in all the stuff that comes with a title, losing players, people reading their press clippings, teams gunning for you, it's tough.
I think with 6 months to rest up we'll be a lot better next year. I don't think it will be long before playoff hockey returns to the RBC.

Anonymous said...

My condolences D-L. There's no worse feeling for a hockey fan than not making the tournament.

Ta,

The Acid Queen said...

Wow, The Smiths?

I was playing The Doors myself--of course, I was watching "Apocalypse Now" at the time, but....

Temujin said...

I was one of three patrons at the local "Boston Pizza" cheering for the Canes in game seven last season. For my "lack of patriotism", I had a beer spilled on my lap for cheering too loudly after the empty-netter sealed the deal. It was well worth it.

This summer, I'm hoping that Vancouver can be crossed of that list.
GO NUCKS!!!


With fans like you on our side, how can we fail?

John said...

Pavement in one post and The Smiths soon after. Not bad. :-)

magnolia_mer said...

I will be very happy for you if the 'Nucks win. Try to cheer up.

Hopefully our guys will get healthy over the summer and be battle-ready for next year.

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.