A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Canes on a two game tear

On Monday afternoon, the Hurricanes overcame a 2-0 third period deficit to win 3-2 over the Islanders in overtime. Second period markers from Mike Commodore and Nic Wallin paved the way for overtime, then Cory Stillman struck in the bonus frame to give the Canes their (gasp) second straight win.

Of course the NHL.com headline indicated that it was the Islanders who won in overtime, but it wasn't so. It took them about five minutes to correct the mistake, but I caught it just in time.

When I was a kid, I was a huge UNC basketball fan. I was born in and spent the first 12 years of my life in Chapel Hill. My father went to school there, and he always hoped that I would follow suit. I didn't. Anyway, the point is that I was a big Tarheels fan. Whenever they would lose a close game, I would fantasize that the refs conferred after the game, changed the ruling of something, replayed the last few seconds and that Carolina had actually won.

Maybe this has something to do with the 1972 Olympic Basketball fiasco. Who knows. Anyway, I used to dream that I would read in the paper that the outcome was different than what I actually saw. This misprint made me think of those days.

I'll watch the game in its entirety later. For now, suffice to say that Andy Sutton handed the Canes the game on a silver platter when he cross-checked Rod Brind'Amour early in the overtime period. It took just 15 seconds with the man advantage for Carolina to cash in.

The two teams will fly to Raleigh tonight and run it back tomorrow night at the RBC Center.

No comments:

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.