A Carolina Hurricanes blog with occasional news about the rest of the NHL.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Blackhawks lose K-Ads for season, K-Ads loses "cool points"

Former Hurricanes alternate captain Kevyn Adams was injured last Wednesday in a game between his Blackhawks and the Blue Jackets. He tore both the ACL and the MCL in his left knee, and he'll miss the remainder of the season. According to reports, he'll hope to make it back during the playoffs. Adams is scheduled to have surgery on Thursday of this week if the swelling subsides.

I've always been a big fan of K-Ads. During his tenure here, he was one of my favorite players, and one of the most well-liked guys in the community. His little brawl with Bret Hedican notwithstanding, I get the impression that he was also well liked in the room.

There are a few things Adams says in this article, though, that rub me the wrong way. Please take the time to click through and read the short article.

The first thing is this little gem of a quote:
"It's really disappointing," said Adams, who tore both the ACL and MCL in his left knee in a victory over Columbus. "I've been having [more] fun with this team and this year than I've ever had in my career."

Really?
Seriously?
Winning the Cup wasn't enough "fun" for you, Kevyn? Jerk.

The second thing is this:
"The standard treatment for this is six months, but I've always been a quick healer, so I'm going to try and push the envelope a little and hopefully get back before then," said Adams, 33. "If you have a positive attitude and you realize that it's just a bump in the road, then you get back and you get through it quicker."

Jeez. We're not talking about a broken heart. We're talking about a significant knee injury. All the "positive attitude" in the world won't help the ligaments heal any quicker. If he tries to "push the envelope", he's risking putting not only his career, but his ability to walk in jeopardy. There's no sense in trying to be a hero. Remember, I also said this when Erik Cole returned for games 6 and 7 of the 2006 SCF.

Seriously, I wish the best for Kevyn, but he's kinda ruffled my feathers with this stuff.

2 comments:

Chris said...

What do you expect him to say?

"I'm having almost as much fun here as I did on the Carolina team that won the Cup!" He's a Blackhawk now. He's going to be supportive of his team and their fanbase.

Why alienate his current fans for his old ones?

kubiak said...

I don't take that personally either. He's just talking up his current team's fans. Saying things like that are pretty much a cliche at this point, really. I doubt that at the end of his career he'll remember this season quite so fondly as winning The Cup, unless he actually does make it back to the team and they end up winning it all. But that's impossible, because they'd have to beat the Canes to win it! (Sorry about that last bit there.)

Now I back to my search to find out the latest on Cole! I just hope he's okay.

disclaimer

Red And Black Hockey is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club, the National Hockey League or any of its other member clubs. The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of RBH. Any comments made are the opinion of the commenter, and not necessarily that of RBH.
Whenever possible, RBH uses its own photography. Any incidental use of copyrighted material including photography, logos or other brand markings will not interfere with the owner's profits.